Ads 468x60px

Monday 19 August 2013

Altered Art Magic The Gathering

(19 August 2013); Hello again, today I'm gonna write about my favorite trading card game (TCG) Magic the Gathering. I started to play this card game since 2004 right after 4 months I enroll in Cosmopoint College Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. 

        I started to play Yu-Gi-Oh for God Sake..haha I play Yu-Gi-Oh before I know this MTG ( Magic The Gathering ). So how did I stumble with this hobbies? First, I like the artwork, second I like the mechanism, third I like the game play, fourth I like the way we build our won deck with strategies..that the main of this card..build your own deck and battles with other and for collection..mostly for rares and special cards. 

     After a few years playing Magic The Gathering I found out one thing that caught my intention is altering my magic card. Altering means by changing the card original art to new looks with different feeling and value of the card. For e.g:
Fan art made by: LXu777 Devian Art Artist

           
         Although this card altering make the card beautiful, the card somehow will be restricted from being used in some tournament if the altering process doesn't follow the judge rules or standards. It count the cards thickness, the card recognition, the card name and it's originality. For me, somehow I only use it for my playing pleasure and receive compliments from other player for my unique cards used ;) and if I have good mood I could offer them for commission to alter their card. 

         The altering process could take about one to two day or more depending on the card art and artist patience, some could be even a weeks. Most of alter artist using the acrylic paint because it is easy to handle and easy to remove at first touch up applied. Acrylic paint doesn't damage the card heavily and could stay longer and the color fade is tougher with water resistant compound. Usually finished with transparent clear coating so the color is preserved. The artwork will leaves paints on the surface so it will be seen clearly and we can feel it.








And fine illustrated art..is one of my favourite only the art is extended with some adds-on and it is not changed entirely so the original art is still visible. I only altered a few cards for personal use before I am gonna planning to do more in the future. Check out my altered art collection here :)






No comments:

Post a Comment